The primary PE and sport premium was introduced in March 2013 to improve the provision of physical education and school sport in primary schools across England and must be spent on ‘making additional and sustainable improvements to the provision of PE and sport’ for the benefit of all pupils to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles.
Schools can choose how they use the funding, for example:
- hire specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers during PE lessons
- support and involve the least active children by running after-school sports clubs and holiday clubs
- provide resources and training courses in PE and sport for teachers
- run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the school games
- run sports activities with other schools